JR Richardson wrote:
The Dual-Core system you are working with must have cost a bundle, several
thousand.  My approach has been to stick with single cpu, single core
servers and add more servers to the cluster, versus building bigger, faster
Proc servers. With sub $1000 servers, I can achieve 150-200 calls per
server, cluster several servers together and for the same price as a quad
proc dual-core server have 700-1000 call capacity.

Now, with that said, a cluster becomes harder to build and operate than a 1
server Asterisk implementation and does not work well in some environments,
such as with large call queues.  But when you are talking straight call
capacity, multiple servers will usually dominate singe servers in relation
to cost.
At the start of our Asterisk project, scaling vertically seemed like the simpler approach and to a certain extent it is necessary because of our call queues. Now that it seems like we've pushed this approach as far as it will go, my eagerness to study and implement Asterisk clusters is growing. I know that horizontal scaling will have its own set of problems, but at this point I think they will be more manageable than what we're currently dealing with.

Could you please give me a rough overview of your clustering architecture? I don't need too many details, but a list of the technologies/programs you are using would be a great basis for my research. I currently planning to look into SER and DUNDi, and another poster suggested looking at OpenSSI.
Nice discussion, and thanks for posting your benchmark results and feedback.
You're welcome. I'll post some large scale numbers off of our production server soon. I'm also going to start looking at SIPp, which may give me a way to gather large scale statistics in a more controlled environment.

Thank you for your responses,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer