I'm talking out my rear so someone please apply an attitude adjustment if I'm way off base.

But, if you are using Dundi as a lookup engine it should know the contact information both endpoints and how to reach them perhaps not ONLY knowing how to comunicate via another asterisk box. Much like simply initializing a base dns infrastructure for the CPE devices. If the CPE devices are configured to accept SIP transactions from $domain or both asterisk servers server A should be able to send a invite directly to client B and bring up the "inbound" call. As far as the client knows it's still
talking and placing outbound calls with server B.

IE:
        Client A calls Client B
        Client A hits Serv A.
        Serv A does lookup finds it knows about Client B
        Serv A sends the call direct to Client B's IP.

I'm assuming that both servers are acting as mirrors of eachother, in that voicemail and all that is a //shared// resource.. so if Client B rings unavail/busy that your serv A knows what to do with the call. In general as long as a client device knows to understand and accept sip messages from $host an inbound call does not have to come from the server they registered to.

If you look at a linksys adapter this is one of the reasons they have that "domain" parameter which controls the list of hosts that are allowed to send SIP transactions to the unit.

Am I wrong on this? The only other artifact I can think of is the fact of NAT traversal, where if client B that's to recieve the call is behind a NAT firewall and you are not doing port forwarding of the SIP signaling then ofcourse it won't get the call because server A has not established the NAT association. But assuming you are using a common 'sbc' or gatekeeper (ser) that box would know the association and things
would be happy.