Hi,

I have an Asterisk 1.2 (can`t upgrade to 1.4 because of some makefile error
on my particular system, bug report opened).  That being said, I doubt my
particular issue is a bug, I think it's me not understanding something.

Let`s take a simple dialplan command, i.e. make the phone ring for 15
seconds:
Dial(SIP/some_sip_registration|15)

It works well (most of the time).  If I disconnect the phone, obviously, it
doesn't work and I get the following message in my Asterisk console:

Aug  1 11:47:57 NOTICE[26107]: app_dial.c:1069 dial_exec_full: Unable to
create channel of type 'SIP' (cause 3 - No route to destination)

That's all good, I expect it do do this.  And here is the issue:

Sometimes, instead, the phone doesn't ring and I get a 15 second silence on
the calling end.  After the full 15 seconds, Asterisk goes to the next
priority.

What makes it do this?  Why am I not getting either a ring or a "no route to
destination error".  It's as if Asterisk is trying to reach the phone for
the full 15 seconds, and only then giving up.

My tests are done with a Polycom 650 phone, if that matters (I doubt it
does). I've seem the same behavior on Polycom 501 and 320.

Mike