What about the G.729 codec? From what I've heard it allows you to stuff an analog call into 8 Kbps. This would give you a theoretical maximum of 80 simultaneous connections on a 640 Kbps DSL line. I would expect this to be much lower in practice, say 20 simultaneous streams, but still, that's not bad.

Adding to my own question, VoicePulse doesn't appear to support G.729. Here is their list of supported codecs: GSM, G.711ulaw, G.711alaw, ADPCM, ILBC, SPEEX (from http://connect.voicepulse.com/specifications.aspx). Does anyone know if one of these is as good as G.729?