To be perfectly honest, the REALTIME function is absolutely hideous when
it comes to reading data from the RealTime database.  What on earth the
Asterisk developers were thinking when they replaced the perfectly
usable RealTime (which sets a channel variable for each field in the
database) with the REALTIME function that requires massive amounts of
additional code to get /any/ useful information out of it, I have no idea.

How replacing one application that can give you a phone's IP address in
a channel variable with a function that requires a dozen or more lines
of code to achieve the same end result can be considered an improvement,
I have no idea.  If the REALTIME function would allow you to specify a
single field to retrieve, then yes, it would be an improvement.  Because
it doesn't, it looks to be damn near unusable.