On Jun 30, 2008, at 1:04 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

But to get asterisk to run a different/fake sox, just install whatever you want to run as /usr/local/bin/sox and then edit your safe_asterisk
script as I mentioned below.

I think this is a bad approach. It's going to be a big "gotcha" down the
road for somebody :)

Agreed. :) It would be nice if there was something similar to externnotify that was not just a notification but a pipe that you could modify/filter etc the audio file before it continues on its merry way.

Asterisk runs the program 'sox' using the first match in your $PATH, so
by updating the $PATH before asterisk runs you can direct it to run a
different sox program.

A quick grep through the Asterisk (1.2.28) sources shows res_monitor using soxmix if the channel variable MONITOR_EXEC is not defined -- but nothing
in app_voicemail. Am I missing something?

It is possible this is a 1.4.x feature, and specifically it is for the e-mail sending system which as I am thinking about it is a 1.4 feature. I don't use 1.2.x and never have, I started with 1.4. The other option, again I don't know if this is available in 1.2, is to use the externnotify option. When a voicemail is left this script/ program is called with the context, extension and number of new voicemail messages. With a little bit of shell scripting you could walk the list of all messages and process any left (modified) within the last 20 seconds via sox. It is a little more iffy and prone to race conditions, but it should work.

Unfortunately I couldn't give you a specific example of doing it this way as I use the e-mail style.

Daniel

Thanks in advance,
Steve Edwards [EMAIL PROTECTED] Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST