extconfig.conf contents (as per first message) were:

sipusers => mysql,asterisk_config,sip_users
sippeers => mysql,asterisk_config,sip_peers

However, I've now commented them all out to static config
for testing purposes.

I was unable to locate a long-term changelog, so I'm
currently compiling 1.4.21.1 to see if that makes any
difference.

> Is there an equivalent of the Asterisk console "odbc show" command for
> MySQL? That would show you whether Asterisk has a connection yo your
> db.

I tried this before posting here (ie: with the two extconfig.conf lines
enabled), and it reported the status as fine.

MySQL is version 14.12 Distrib 5.0.54

Regards,
Walter Stanish
Owner / Director