On Aug 8, 2008, at 7:39 AM, JR Richardson wrote:

>> Asterisk 1.6 currently has T.38 origination and termination support.
>> It does not yet have fax gateway support.
>>
>> --
>> Russell Bryant
>
> Russell, Can you please clarify what you mean.  I think there is
> still a bit
> of confusion as to what termination and gateway and Asterisk 1.6 is
> all
> about, capability, functionality, call flow to what application,
> library
> requirements, spandsp versioning.....
>
> And when do you think we can expect to see stable solutions for each.

Origination and termination is exactly that.  That means Asterisk is
either originating the fax, or receiving the fax.  Asterisk is the
endpoint.  This is supported for both regular fax and T.38 using the
app_fax module in Asterisk 1.6, which requires spandsp 0.0.5.

Gateway support is the ability to have a fax going through Asterisk as
analog on one side and T.38 on the other.  This is not yet support,
but is obviously on the roadmap.  I can't give you an estimation for
when it will be done and officially supported right now, though.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer