I don't know how I managed to mess up sending this last time, but somehow it got attached to the AgentCallbackLogin thread. Since the indended audience may not see it there, please indulge me by tolerating this second copy:

Here's a little tidbit about the non-functional flash key on the Budgetone 100's. I have 20 of these phones. On some, the flash key works, and on some it does not. Since the problem is utterly independent of the firmware revision, I suspected that it was hardware based. So, in the interest of scientific inquiry, I took one of the non-functional ones apart to see what I could see.

The results were very interesting. During the original assembly of the phone, several parts, mostly wires, were drizzled with some kind of semi-elastic adhesive, no doubt with the intention of improving the physical shock resistance of the phone. The problem is that the drizzler, whoever he/she may have been, was exceedingly sloppy. The result is that the adhesive was drizzled right over the contact area on the keypad circuit board, preventing contact from being made when the key is pressed. There were actually several such keys on the phone I examined, one of which was the flash key.

So, I took some acetone, which dissolves the goo nicely, and a cotton swab (several actually) and cleaned the stuff away. While I was at it, I cleaned the contact area of all the keys. The result is that the flash key now works on that phone. Now if you decide to see if this is the issue with your own copy of the phone, be careful to not spill the acetone on the case since it will probably dissolve it as well - I completely removed the whole mess from the case. Also, take extra care to not leave any fingerprints on the contact areas since acids from the fingers are known to be associated with long term degradation of circuit board contacts. And, finally, be careful when replacing the screws holding the circuitboard in the case. They are very easily stripped. I know this because I had to repair one of them with a dab of glue - much more carefully placed, I might add.

Simple? Yes. Irritating? Yes. Poor quality control? Well that's real understatement. Are you listening Grandstream?

Stephen R. Besch