David Gibbons wrote:
> Two separate networks? Did I miss something? I feel like I'm taking crazy
> pills! Two separate physical networks means twice the hassle, twice the
> maintenance, twice the cost, twice the headache. Not to mention the fact that
> the whole idea of VOIP is to simplify IT and focus on converging data and
> voice networks.
>
> This is what VLANs and QOS do best. I dare say it's what they were designed
> foe. I can't think of any reason that I would ever recommend two ports per
> desk to support telephony -- ever. It's ludicrous to think that two ports
> will be better than one if we're setting up our VLANs and QOS properly. A
> phone takes very, very little bandwidth away from the desktop and a decent
> one will support tagging its frames for the alternate voice VLAN.
>
> --snip--
> In almost all cases it is much better to have two seperate networks.
> This may be impractical in some smaller installs, but in any office
> setting we always do this. The only reason I can think of not to is to
> eliminate the cost of the second cable.
> --snip--

That's two _logically_ separate networks. The key point is that the
"last yard" cable to the phone is not shared with the computer.
The issue is not a lack of bandwidth but that the phone has to try and
get its little packets inserted between the massive packets of a
database lookup or file transfer in a timely manner (latency and jitter).

You might get away with a single logical network on a smaller site or a
larger one with very light traffic.

QoS is not required on lightly loaded links and will do nothing for you
on over loaded ones. I only use it on WAN links where bandwidth is more
expensive.

regards,

Drew

--