Which firmware load? We had all kinds of trouble with 8.4.x, after being stable
for a few months on 8.3.x. Going back to 8.3.x made all of the weirdness
disappear. While we're on the cisco note, I have  script to remotely reboot the
SIP firmware load Ciscos and to provision the phones based on active directory
if you're interested... back on topic:

Have you run a packet cap on a mirror of the switchport the phone this is
happening on is connected to? Anything strange? What's happening on the switch
backplane (network backbone) at large when you notice the problems? Major
transfers/lots of traffic? Anything else running on the * server?

--Dave

<snip>
We're running Asterisk 1.4.22 built from source and Cisco 7961G phones with the
SIP firmware image. I've tried most of the recent firmware versions for the
phones with no real impact on the issue. Strange thing is that while all of the
phones use a variation on the same config file (with the only changes being the
SIP account details and speed dial keys) but one user in particular seems to
suffer the issue far more frequently.
</snip>