Brent Franks wrote:

No, but the Caller ID Information for a SIP extension is stored in
sip.conf, so yes, I did think about that.

As far as making sense, many meridian systems do this, and it is quite
helpful.  This could help with the implementation of gastman, and also
end user phones.  On the Cisco's and Polycom's, when you place a call on
hold, rather than seeing an extension, you would see the name and you
could toggle between the calls and see the name, rather than number
(O.K. that part is a convenience thing).  I know on my Meridian system
at work, if you accidentally dial the wrong extension, the name pops up
after it starts ringing, and you know your calling the wrong person.
You can hang up, or tell the person real quick, hey sorry, I meant to
call someone else.
It's one thing when you have an internal PBX, but when you open up for
external SIP calls from the Internet - do you really want them to always
get your full name?
Maybe a filter would be good.

Anyway, could you provide a SIP trace of a call setup with this feature?

/O