I have it up and running o my system with this line in voicemail.conf and a symlink named sendmail to the actual msmtp program.

mailcmd=/usr/sbin/sendmail -v -t -f l<my e-ail name>@gmail.com

This is the install log based on info provided by others and the install process itself. Hope it is useful

/Erik

Step 1  Installing needed packages/libs on your system

install this packages (I'm not sure if all the packages are needed but with this packages it works)

 apt-get install libwww-perl
 apt-get install openssl
 apt-get install libcrypt-ssleay
 apt-get install libnet-ssleay-perl
 apt-get install libcrypt-ssleay-perl

Step 2  download msmtp

download msmtp van sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ msmtp/) to /usr/src/

Step 3

bunzip2 msmtp.tar.bz2

tar -xvf msmtp.tar
cd  /usr/src/msmtp

Step 4

built msmtp

./configure
make
make install

Step 5

check if msmtp is on the system and if the output looks like below.

# msmtp --version

msmtp version 1.4.9
TLS/SSL library: GnuTLS
Authentication library: GNU SASL
Supported authentication methods:
plain cram-md5 digest-md5 gssapi external login
IDN support: enabled
NLS: enabled, LOCALEDIR is /usr/share/locale
System configuration file name: /etc/msmtprc
User configuration file name: /root/.msmtprc

Copyright (C) 2006 Martin Lambers and others.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Step 6
Make a symlink from /usr/local/bin/msmtp to /usr/sbin/sendmail (the name of the symlink is sendmail)

#  ln -s /usr/local/bin/msmtp /usr/sbin/sendmail

Step 7
Add /root/.msmtprc (be aware of the dot) to the system with only owner read and write permissions and with this lines (adjust to your x...@gmail.com account). This way it works for a gmail account

defaults
logfile /var/log/msmtp.log

account default
from <xxxxxx>@gmail.com
protocol smtp
host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
user <xxxxxxx>@gmail.com
password <password>
auth on
tls on
tls_certcheck on
tls_trust_file /root/cert.pem

Step 8  certificate file

copy the certificate file to the root directory
/root/cert.pem copied on system  (see attachement)

Step 9 configuration of /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf

Add this to /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf as a replacement of the "mailcmd =" line
mailcmd=/usr/sbin/sendmail -v -t -f <your_gemail_name>@gmail.com

and uncomment  "attach = yes

Add a vociemailbox to the system in [default] of voicemail.conf

[default]
; Define maximum number of messages per folder for a particular context.
;maxmsg=50

500 => 1234,<name>,<e-mail adress>

step 10 adding a test extension to the system

Add an extension to /etc/asterisk/extension.conf to test de setup

something like

exten => 888,1,Answer()
exten => 888,n,Voicemail(500)

If you call 888 with in internal phone you enter the voicemail routine and a recording will be made. After finishing you will receive an e- mail with the recording as an attachement.

And you are done

Message: 2