On 12/23/2009 03:48 PM, Fred Posner wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Sascha Ferley wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am in need of ordering a new server here for our asterisk solution. Since
>> the corporate standard is Dell we need to stick to a dell server. We used to
>> deploy 2900III without any issues, however now they are almost not available
>> any more and are looking at a new solution.
>> Has anyone tried any of the new Dell R (series) servers with Asterisk,
>> utilizing Digium PRI cards?
>>
>> The biggest issue I can see is that in the future we may want to get a
>> transcoder card, however none of the new servers have a standard PCI slot
>> available any more as with the new Nathelem chips having gotten rid of the
>> basic bridge I guess.
>>

>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> S.
>
> Personally, not a big fan of Dell Servers. That being said, I've deployed
> Asterisk in many of the new R series 1&  2 U servers with Digium cards.
> Initial deployments have been without issue. Longterm have had the random
> drive failure and heat issues I've come to experience with Dell servers.

Fred,

To be fair, you see heat issues (and drive failures related to heat
issues) in nearly any 1 or 2U server that's not in a properly cooled
environment.  1U and 2U servers work well in data centers with 60F
cooling.  Not so much in your normal office with computers crammed in a
closet.

Darrick
--
Darrick Hartman