On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Luki wrote:

> Not directly, but it's not really needed. A long as the machine has
> enough RAM, the files will be served from RAM by the operating system.
> Sure there is the overhead of opening/closing files and reading them,
> but on modern OS this overhead is negligible if the files are cached
> (asterisk may even use mmap, but I'm not sure).
>
> You can also make a ram disk (say via tmpfs), copy the sounds there and
> symlink the sound directory to that location. However, I don't think you
> will gain much.

A bit off topic, but recently I was trying to improve the performance of a
MythTV frontend (a Linux home theater application).

I tried tmpfs and /dev/ramx and neither yielded noticeable improvement. My
informal conclusion is that Linux does a good enough job at managing
memory that tweaking is probably not worth it.

--
Thanks in advance,
Steve Edwards       sedwa...@sedwards.com      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST