Dear list,

I'm trying to get Asterisk to work dual-stack on Linux and I'm left with
a question.

Imagine that a user (on the road) connects to Asterisk from various
places. Many of them probably don't have IPv6 support yet. However, his
house and office do have IPv6 connectivity. I would like to make sure
that whenever IPv6 is available, the connection will be made over IPv6,
but offer IPv4 as a "fallback" option.

The pitfall, in my opinion, is to create one sip.conf entry for that
user which supports the voicecalls over IPv4 and IPv6. However, settings
like nat=, directmedia= and/or canreinvite= seem to be addressfamily
unrelated. I want to configure it in a way that when I connect using
IPv6, no NAT options should be set and the mediapath (almost) always
should be directly between the peers and not over the Asterisk server
(so, "nat=no" and "canreinvite=yes").

But, when a user comes via IPv4, changes are that he's on NAT. When that
happens obviously the connections should traverse the NAT using options
like "nat=yes" and "canreinvite=no".

There's little to no documentation available as far as my google-skills
go. There's some in sip.conf, and I couldn't find anything on the website.

Does anyone have some pointers for me, either for the configuration of
the sip.conf entry or for more documentation on this?

Best regards,

Wouter Schoot