Hi,

On 01/01/2011 05:32 PM, Gilles wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:55:46 +0100, Administrator TOOTAI
<ad...@tootai.net>  wrote:
I wouldn't be one of your friend: when I'm calling you I call a landline
but finally will be charged for a mobile call (imagine I have free calls
to landlines from my ISP). I give you an information: in France you
don't have the right to do this unless you have it precise *before*
redirection.

I checked with the VOSP: Apparently, it doesn't support getting an SIP
message to forward calls on the fly, and I pay for the forwarded leg
of the call (the caller will pay his part).

I am, in a way, in a similar situation. I have a POTS/PSTN landline connected to my Asterisk server - and Asterisk calls my mobile when a call comes in down the POTS line and then bridges the calls for me. This is effectively home-brew/DIY call diversion. Instead of asking the phone company to divert the calls when I'm not home, I setup Asterisk to do that for me. The slight advantage in doing it myself is that I use another SIP provider for the outgoing leg of the call - who charges me far less per minute then my landline provider would charge me for their divert feature. They even charge an extra monthly fee for having the divert feature!

I take it the above is your option number one - which you are trying to avoid. I'm afraid your option number two doesn't really exist - as far as I know. First of all - as the others have pointed out, the incoming call has dialled a landline number - and expects to pay for a call to a landline number. So any diversion happening would be your responsability to pay for. That is of course if you don't live in USA or Canada - where I believe calls *to* mobiles are similarly charged as calls *to* landlines - and it is the receiving end who gets charged for calls to mobiles. So in general - sending any sort of message to phone provider and asking them, on the fly, to send the call to another number - without you being charged - is most likely impossible - and will stay that way.

The closest you will come to this is if you have a call divert with the phone company, and a package which allows free calls to a specific mobile phone (or free mobile minutes). I used to be with a landline provider - who gave me free unlimited calls from my landline to my mobile phone. They didn't realised that this would mean I could have call diverts from my landline to my mobile free as well - as effectively I was being charged as if my house phone would call my mobile! This worked for about two years - until I had to move house, and provider.

Anyway - there is a third option - which I have been using with some success. I connected my softphone on my laptop to my Asterisk server at home (through OpenVPN for extra security - but this is not compulsory). Sometime I keep my laptop on when out in the field at clients, with Internet connection running - and pick-up incoming calls on the laptop. This way the divert part of the call is free - as it is coming through the Internet to my laptop. I configured my phone divert (in Asterisk) to ring simultaneously my mobile and my softphone when a call comes down the landline. I answer on whichever one I want. I don't use Followme - I don't like the way it has been implemented (the line gets answered early - not when I answer the mobile or softphone).

As a last alternative - a slight improvement on the above. If you can get a smartphone with Android - which would let you run SIP over 3G - you should have true free voice divert. Everything would be as above - the main difference is that the phone (instead of the laptop) would be on and connected all the time - even when moving out and about - which with a laptop is not feasible. This would allow you to answer your calls through the 3G data link - and not be charged per minute. If your mobile phone company will let you do that (run SIP over 3G). This is where an OpenVPN (or any other VPN) connection again would come in handy - they shouldn't be able to tell you are running SIP - if it is inside VPN ;-) I haven't trialled this version yet - but this would be my ultimate call diversion setup.

Hope the above helps,

Sebastian

Thanks guys.