On Tuesday 04 Jan 2011, Gilles wrote:
> Thanks Sebastian for the tip. The goal is to 1) have clients call the
> usual landline number instead of asking them to try a cellphone in
> case no one's home, 2) get Asterisk to handle the call, 3) have the
> cellphone ring with the CID of the original caller instead of
> Asterisk's.

The problem with doing no. 3 is, if you are routing the call over the PSTN at
any rate, your telephone company will  (silently)  *drop* the caller ID if
the number you are presenting does not actually "belong" to you.  This is
*good* most of the time, because it means you can trust other people's caller
ID to be accurate  (and untrustworthy caller ID makes caller ID pointless).

We first met this when we ordered our second E1 line and batch of presentation
numbers.  As a result of a mistake on somebody's part, the two lines appeared
(according to BT's records)  to belong to different companies.  As a result,
approximately half our calls were going out anonymously; because if we were
trying to go out on span 2 but using a number that was only allowed on span
1, or vice versa, then the ident would get stripped somewhere along the way.

Diagnosing this obscure fault rather stretched the definition of "fun"  :/

--
AJS