Hi,

On 01/04/2011 10:50 AM, Gilles wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 23:32:15 +0000, Sebastian<s...@open-t.co.uk>
wrote:
Anyway - there is a third option - which I have been using with some
success. I connected my softphone on my laptop to my Asterisk server at
home (through OpenVPN for extra security - but this is not compulsory). [...]
As a last alternative - a slight improvement on the above. If you can
get a smartphone with Android - which would let you run SIP over 3G -
you should have true free voice divert.

Thanks Sebastian for the tip. The goal is to 1) have clients call the
usual landline number instead of asking them to try a cellphone in
case no one's home, 2) get Asterisk to handle the call, 3) have the
cellphone ring with the CID of the original caller instead of
Asterisk's.

It looks like getting a 3G smartphone with SIP + OpenVPN + unlimited
Internet plan would solve the issue.

Does someone know...
1. how reliable 3G Internet access is in Europe in cities?

I can only speak for the UK. In the UK - Three seems to be one of the best providers (in my experience). However, coverage quality varies throughout the country, and I have clients on O2, T-Mobile and Vodafone - with varying results. It is, by its very nature, a connection which will vary continually in bandwidth and reliability with the time and location.

2. what smartphone supports installing an SIP + OpenVPN clients?

Looking around, it seems to me that any Android phone should be able to have SIP clients installed. If anybody knows of any manufacturer or operator imposed blocks - I would love to know. One of the more popular SIP clients (www.sipdroid.org) doesn't seem to mention any possible impediments to installing it on any Android phone (1.5 and above)

3. how much juice those things need to keep those applications + 3G
connection running for hours each day?

Again, at least according to www.sipdroid.org FAQ - it seems that it shouldn't make any extra difference. I suppose it depends on the battery size. They claim a 3 days standby - but don't say which phone did they test it on. They also claim that a stock Asterisk talking to a SIP client on Android is not ideal in terms of battery life for the Android phone - but I really can't think why. If anybody here has some ideas - would be great.

One other thing to watch out for is operator imposed contractual restrictions. Many mobile/3G operators expressly forbid running any type of VoIP through their network in the contract (you can still use the phone + SIP over wifi, though). However, I believe that if you run it through OpenVPN - they shouldn't be able to tell. Again, if anybody has any info on this, or knows otherwise - I would love to know.

One of the openvpn implementations for Android is TunnelDroid (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tunneldroid/). This one needs the phone to be rooted - so when searching for a phone - make sure it has a (hopefully easy) rooting procedure. I don't know if there is an openvpn implementation for Android which doesn't need the phone to be rooted - but considering you need extra kernel modules (the tun device) I would have thought rooting is essential.

Sorry to keep on butting in. I've been interested in SIP on Android for a while now - so this just gave me more incentives to actually do the research :-)

Sebastian

Thank you.