Le 28/04/2011 22:43, Leif Madsen a écrit :
On 11-04-28 04:33 PM, Administrator TOOTAI wrote:
Le 28/04/2011 21:47, Leif Madsen a écrit :
On 11-04-28 12:04 PM, Administrator TOOTAI wrote:
Ok, so why not stay with asterisk 1.4 security *and* bug/regression fixes for
few weeks/monthes till 1.8 reaches the level that the community accept to switch
to 1.8
What is the guide here? What is the "level that the community" accepts?
Unfortunately that is a statement that is impossible to measure quantitatively.
The answer will always be, "We're not ready!"
Don't think so, analyze the answers to this discussion -thanks Ole ;-)-: till
1.8 is not at the feature level and stability of 1.4, people like me will not
move to 1.8 Measure is easy :-)
But that's what I don't get. No one is *forcing* you to move to 1.8 *right now*.
The code base for 1.4 isn't going anywhere. Anyone is able to keep deploying 1.4
(or 1.2, or 1.0, or 0.9 for that matter) to their hearts content.

Sure. Please follow the 2 next stories:

- had a customer running 1.4.26 We upgraded to a new server and installed 1.4.39, last version at this time. Bang: voicemail doesn't work as it should, had to fallback to 1.4.26 Customer is still running this version. - have 1.4.41 and 1.6.16 which are no more able to use auth keys in iax since we update one server from 1.4 to 1.6

Now imagine that 1.4 stays at only security level. For first case we have 2 options: upgrading for security reasons to last version but then no more voicemail, or staying with 1.4.26. In the second case, upgrading both servers to test with 1.8. If it's still not working, it was time loose beside other problems.

Yes, we have servers for testing, but really, who would think that such 2 problems araised with an 1.4 stable version? Same was few versions before (1.4.20~1.4.28 if I good remember) with attempted call transfer: was working on one version, stop to next one, worked again aso. Even in a test environment you can't simulate all setups.

Hope that this both scenario gives you a new vision ;-) and why I tell that bugs and regressions should be taken in account at the same level as security.

--
Daniel