5 maj 2011 kl. 14.17 skrev Alex Balashov:

> Bilal,
>
> On 05/05/2011 08:08 AM, bilal ghayyad wrote:
>
>> When the endpoint register on Asterisk or initiate a call, so they
>> exchange the sip username and password. What is the possibility that
>> this will be capture by the hacker and how to avoid this problem?
>
> Strictly speaking, there is no inherent connection between either
> registration or call initiation on the one hand, and authentication. Both of
> those scenarios can be performed in an authentication-free fashion.  In fact,
> in most cases the SIP UAC will first attempt to send both a REGISTER and an
> INVITE request without any authentication credentials.
Because they HAVE TO. In the 401/407 reply, there's a challenge (nonce) which
is an important part of the MD5 Digest Auth scheme.

> However, it is typical of a SIP UAS providing retail services to the public
> at large to reply to those requests with a 401 or 407 proxy challenge
> requesting authentication.  The UAC then resends the request with digest
> authentication headers, including a password encrypted via a cryptographic
> one-way hash function.  The entire mechanism was borrowed from HTTP digest
> authentication.
>
> The authorisation username can absolutely be intercepted, as it is
> transmitted it in plain text.  But this is not news.  The password is
> encrypted, and while the encrypted version can be intercepted, it is
> encrypted using a one-time "nonce" value that is part of the 401 or 407
> challenge sent by the UAS.  Nonce values typically have fairly stringent
> expiration times, at least on good implementations, but nonce replay attacks
> are possible in principle.
The password is NOT encrypted. It's is used as the basis of a textstring you
calculate a hash from. That's very different :-)

> This mechanism is reasonably secure, as a compromise with the
> interoperability requirements of providing SIP service across the public
> Internet.  In high-stakes situations, however, it may not be sufficient, and
> may call for SIP over a TLS transport, or encrypted tunnels.
I would say it may call for SIP with TLS client authentication - regardless if
you need encryption or not...

Cheers,
/O