On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Gilles wrote:

Hello

I just read this article about a kid in England who built a box with a
3G SIM card:

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1394448/Doorbell-tricks-burglars-thinking-youre-home-invented-schoolboy-Laurence-Rook-13.html

When someone rings your intercom, the box will call your cellphone so
you can answer just like you were home.

I don't know anything about electronics and would like to have
something similar by connecting the intercom end in my appartment to a
PC running Asterisk that will dial a phone number through SIP.

Does someone know if something like that is available ready to use
(Arduino, etc.)?

Why bother when you can buy off the shelf stuff to do it for you.

e.g. (UK source)

  http://www.provu.co.uk/door_entry.html

It's not exactly rocket science if you already have an asterisk (or other
SIP) system that can handle the calls for you.

However if he can sell his box for 40 quid, then I'm all for it... Until someone crowbars the whole unit off the wall and steals the SIM card from it and runs up a huge mobile bill... doesn't look like he's thought of that.

Gordon