A quick to implement open source network monitoring tool is smokeping:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/index.en.html

Tobi Oetiker and Niko Tyni's awesome tool can monitor latency on a number of
layers, and maintains charted records of connection quality.

It has a probe specific to SIP:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/probe/SipSak.en.html

While there are many great implementation guides out there, I've drafted a
basic install (that is somewhat OS X centric) at:
http://www.stevenstromer.com/grok/smokeping-installation-for-os-x-10-5-10-6

And a basic configuration guide:
http://www.stevenstromer.com/grok/smokeping-configuration-for-a-home-or-small-business-network
(it doesn't describe implementing the SIP probe just yet)

Hope you find smokeping as helpful as I have, and not only for VoIP services. I
am sure there are a number of other, more dedicated and equally useful apps.
Also, I believe there have been numerous previous discussions in this thread
about monitoring options. Look back.

Steven