On 28/09/12 08:23 AM, Joshua Colp wrote:
I am your friendly neighborhood developer here with a question that may
impact some of you.

You're friendly? :)

Right now there is a small discussion occurring on the Asterisk
development mailing list about the expected behavior of music on hold
and AGI's "stream file". Presently if you start music on hold and then
call "stream file" the music on hold will be *stopped* but not *restarted*.

Do you think this behavior is correct?

I guess part of the question is; can you trigger it to be re-enabled after the stream file?

The proposition on the mailing list is to add yet another knob to allow
you to control whether it is restarted or not upon completion of the
stream file and to change the default behaviour for Asterisk 12 to have
it restart music on hold.

I look forward to your responses so you can help with the ultimate
decision for this discussion.

My question about being able to re-enable it poses an interesting one. Since this is a programmatic method of controlling things, do you really want to automatically do something that wasn't explicitly defined?

As someone who might interface via a program, I'm thinking I would prefer things to continue operating as they do now. If my program already accounted for this, then I've already triggered MOH to restart after the file. Another question might be; is there a way to determine if MOH was playing prior to my call to stream file so I can reset the previous state?

My gut tells me that if this has been like this for a long time, and is how it worked originally, that how it works now be left as the default, and if you want to add an option that allows you to turn it on, that be the best approach here. Changing this can only make it a backwards compatibility issue. Someone who has run into this and needs it to act differently will seek out the new option after reading about it in the CHANGES file.

In an ideal scenario, a system upgrade should require the least amount of knob turning.

--
Leif Madsen
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk