also sprach Joshua Colp <jc...@digium.com> [2012.11.07.1831 +0100]:
> Peer names have to be distinct, this is just a fundamental design
> element of chan_sip. What a lot of people end up doing is instead of
> treating peers as people they treat them as devices. The peer name
> becomes the MAC address of the device they have been assigned.

Especially in combination with users.conf, this can become quite
cumbersome.

Also, it solves the sip.conf problem, but in extensions.conf, your
contexts still need to encode the locality/domain, e.g.
[site1-phones], [site2-outgoing] and [incoming-to-site3]. This is
all doable, with prefixes and #includes, but it requires more
discipline than if Asterisk would simply learn to virtually host. ;)

Also, when users have multiple devices, then handing out two sets of
credentials is a bit of a pain. I realise that this is not specific
to your suggestion, but I do recall a university using Asterisk that
provided 10 logins for everyone, i.e. if my username was 12345, then
12345[0-9] would all be valid SIP login names using the same
password. Any idea how this was done? 10 stanzas? ;)

"brevity is the soul of wit."
                                                -- polonius (hamlet)
"brevity is ... wit."
                                                     -- the simpsons