On 12-11-07 05:41 AM, martin f krafft wrote:
Hello,

we are finally going to redesign our Asterisk-Setup, which has grown
quite complex. We have five sites with a total of 400 users, 15 SIP
registrations and 3 IAX registrations. We do not use any
VoIP-hardware, so it's all software-based. But we make heavy use of
features, including voicemail, followme, conferencing,
call-recording, and queuing.

As I said, the configuration has grown quite complex — so complex
that we are all a bit scared to touch it. It works, but as we are
now adding a sixth site and upgrading the hardware, we thought it
would be a good opportunity to get the sixth site up and running on
a new box, then migrate the other sites.

Now we are trying to figure out how to organise sip.conf, iax.conf
and extensions.conf. I read about Realtime configuration, but I was
a bit disappoointed because it's really just moving the
section-key-value store from the flat files to a relational
database without really making use of any relational features. Sure,
it's realtime thereafter, but not any less complex.

So what to do? Does anyone have a similar setup and would like to
offer a glance into their configs? Are there best practices? Or is
there maybe even software (Linux) to manage setups?

What is your point of pain? Right now we do most of the configuration, provisioning, and system management outside of asterisk.

So, for example here is how we handle the initial configuration and provisioning, we use puppet[1]. Leif and I did a talk at astricon[2] about it.

System management is another issue, but we mostly use puppet or external agi / database to control certain _dynamic_ features.

Either way, don't manually build your 6th machine. Start from fresh using some sort of automated tool (chef / puppet). This will help you get on the right path.

[1] https://github.com/kickstandproject/astricon-2012-presentation
[2] http://goo.gl/T8lJR

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.