Michael L. Young wrote:

> I should have probably stated that this is going to be going through
> an MPLS network being setup with Verizon.  They may not be requiring
> that since it is within their network, not going over the internet.
> They have not said anything about the the need to secure the traffic
> coming from them or to them since the VoIP traffic will be on
> Verizon's network.

Michael,

Your email documents the same experience we had years ago.  It was
strange reading it and I was shocked that nothing has changed in that
much time.  Asterisk will work with Verizon's IP trunking product, but
they're trying to make you jump through some old hoops first.

We were using Verizon IP trunks over an MPLS network in 2008.  At the
time, they did not require IPSEC for signaling.  However, they did
want us to install an SBC and actually provided us with an AudioCodes
nCite 1000 at their cost.  It just acted as a proxy, so it didn't
affect interoperability with Verizon's IP trunks and I wouldn't
buy one only to satisfy them.

We were quite happy with the service, so I'd encourage you to go ahead
with the field trial without putting an SBC in place.  Remember that
you will be paying them, so they should be working to fit your design
and if they reject you for some arcane reason then you are better off
with another provider anyway.

Don't hesitate to let them know that you know you're jumping through
the same hoops that have been in place since 2008 and you'd appreciate
it if they would streamline the process to save time and money.  Tell
them that Asterisk should already be on their certified list of
approved devices because they've been running field trials and
production setups on it for years.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions