Am 08.05.2013 01:12, schrieb James Cloos:

> SN> Running Asterisk (version: 1.8.13.1~dfsg-3) on Debian Wheezy. On the
> SN> same maschine: Hylafax fax server. I want hylafax to use t38modem (a
> SN> virtual T.38 modem) for sending faxes. t38modem schould connect to
> SN> asterisk on the same host.
>
> SN> If hylafax sends a fax it should use t38modem which ist connected to
> SN> asterisk. Asterik is expected to establish an outbound connection to my
> SN> SIP provider which supports T38. The asterisk box is behind nat.
>
> Silly question:

Not so silly ...

> If you want to use T38 to the remote provider, and have
> t38modem, do you /need/ the asterisk in the middle?

The hylafax server is behind NAT and I did not succeed to get t38modem
running behind NAT. So I wanted to give asterisk a try since it has some
features to make it work behind a natted connection.

> And if you /do/ need something between the two, might a sip proxy work
> better than a pbx

I am behind a IAD which does NAT. I cannot install my own software on
the IAD. Therefore I did nit consider a SIP proxy.

Thanks!

Sebastian