On 10/05/2013 11:07 PM, Darryl Moore wrote:

On 2013-10-04 5:36 PM, "Steve Underwood" <ste...@coppice.org <mailto:ste...@coppice.org>> wrote:

> On 10/05/2013 01:32 AM, Darryl Moore wrote:
>>
>> I'll explain.
>>
>> The g.729 compression algorithm is not protected by copyright, though
>> specific instances may be. It is protected by a patent.
>>
>> http://www.sipro.com/G-729.html
>>
>> An open source version is available here:
>>
>> http://asterisk.hosting.lv/
>>
>> What stops you from using this, or even your own implementation isn't
>> copyright, but patent protection. It is the right to use the patented
>> technology that you are licensing, not the particular copyrighted coded
>> that implements it.
>
> The G.729 codec software at http://asterisk.hosting.lv/actually uses a codec implementation copyrighted by Intel. You need to obey their copyright conditions.

correct, and for a few hundred dollars you are free to use it as you see fit, without royalties. note that i also said that the patent license applies even on code that you write yourself.

>> Here you will find the various G.729 patents which were all granted in
>> 1996.
>>
>> https://www.itu.int/ITU-T/recommendations/related_ps.aspx?id_prod=3334
>>

>> I had thought these expired next year because I was thinking patents
>> were only 18 years. Turns out they are now 20 years, so they really do
>> not expire til some time in 2016. My bad.
>
> If you use G.729A (which practically everyone does) I think there are one or two patent which run beyond 2016, at least in the US.

perhaps. i do not claim to have fully researched either the patents or the protocol. is 729 compatible with 729a? out of curiosity though i will find out more about these other patents.

>> So in countries that honour software patents, you need to have a license
>> until some time in 2016. In countries which do not, you are free to use
>> these open source codes now.
>
> What have the essential patents relevant to G.729 got to do with software patents?

[blink]

umm... they are software patents.

Really? Do you have expert legal opinion on that? I've never seen anyone competent dispute the patentability of applied signal processing. Such patents get issued all over the world. There are a couple of software patents related to G.729, but those are not part of the essential pool of patents, and those are probably US only.

>> cheers.
>>
>> On Fri, 2013-10-04 at 15:55 +0200, Olivier wrote:
>>

>>> Hmmmm, I'm not sure how g729 licence and software patents relate to
>>> each other.

Regards,
Steve