Robert McGilvray wrote:

Thanks Joshua. We're talking about pretty long gaps in the audio,
probably around 10-15 seconds which is quite a bit of missed ticks at
20ms sampling. I was poking around the timing code trying to get a
better understanding of things and found that Asterisk uses
timerfd_create with CLOCK_MONOTONIC as the clock. The man page states
CLOCK_MONOTONIC is affected by incremental adjustments to the time
made by things like NTP.

I may be completely off track here but would something like vmtools
that tries to correct the clock skew (caused by VMware) be causing
some issues here? Meaning that if asterisk calls timerfd_create but
then the time is adjusted could that throw off the timing of the
descriptor?

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of timerfd so I don't really know, but it is certainly possible. It's also possible that the sheer I/O is causing timing to get thrown off in the environment.

--
Joshua Colp