>>> And I'm not at all against Digium making money. But this whole 729 thing is
>>> a mystery without any official feedback...

Not an official statement from Digium, but at the top of that thread, it says
it all:

"david551
Sep '17

It still need copyright licensing.

You will need to find an open source implementation that is not based on code
with commercial use restrictions. The allegedly open source implementation that
was around whilst the patent was live actually had a void licence, because the
purported licence was GPL, but it contained code identified by its upstream
supplier as not for commercial use, invalidating the GPL.

If you want a royalty free G.729, you need to write it yourself, form the
specification, not from the existing sample code."

Doug