Hi Mitch

I don't think you can expect it to work on the analog lines at all out of the
box.

What kind of hardware are you using to connect to the analog lines?

We used Xorcom Astribanks at a stage, but could never (ever) figure out the
signalling needed to set the caller ID at our local public phone company
servicing our POTS lines (Telkom, South Africa). It was useless anyway, as they
didn't support it and their software couldn't apply it. See below.

It is a two-pronged problem, e. g. your hardware and drivers need to be able to
signal the caller-id to the carrier / public telephone company, and, if you CAN
communicate this to the local telephone company, they need to be able to
interpret this and set it on calls they process for you.

In our case (if I remember right, we've long since dumped all analog lines)
there were double problems there as well, e. g. the POTS network here ignored
our signalling (and their hardware / software mix doesn't support it anyway, so
even if they interpreted and understood the protocol and number being sent,
they couldn't apply it) and some legislation that prohibited "CID masquerading"
for calls made through the government-owned public telephone network.

Our current SIP trunk provider cannot do it either, their systems simply do not
support it and all numbers going out are always fixed to the constant trunk
outgoing number. E. g. we also spent several days of dev trying to get it to
work, eventually checking with them and being informed it is impossible anyway
and they do not support changing the number from traffic we pass them.

However, they can easily spin up extra logical SIP trunks at miniscule cost
(several US cents in local currency equivalent), so if we need a custom number
for callees to dial back for a temporary sales campaign or whatever, we simply
request it and that trunks fixed, constant number will appear on callee phones.
We then simply route the correct internal dialout calls to the temporary
virtual trunk by whatever logic we want.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
--
Message: 2