> On 2020-05-31 19:26, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
Hi,

I really don't know why yours doesn't work.  Perhaps you can tell us
what your terminal emulator is, what you are running it on, etc.
Whatever it is, it isn't properly interpreting the escape codes for
xterm-256color.  You could possibly try some different terminal types,
but this is an odd situation if the remote shell (is it remote?) can't
determine your termtype.  This is pretty ancient code.

my terminal emulator is terminator, I also tried xterm (same result)

and echo $TERM gives me:
xterm-256color

My system is Debian Buster, but not sure if that is relevant

what terminal emulator are you using ?