James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
The demand exists; is anyone up for spulying that demand?

Interesting conversation... a partner and I are setting up _exactly_ this sort of business right now, but not in the areas the OP wanted.

I see a great deal of market for VOIP trunk service exactly as mentioned in this thread: multiple trunks (even some usage-based if you want to go over your "maximum"), a set of numbers (some ported via LNP, others via blocks of DID), and calls coming over those trunks just as if there was a PRI to the customer's premises.

On the backend we'll do the same thing the telcos do; oversubscribe our PRI capacity at some reasonable rate. We will be targeting small businesses, averaging 20 employees and smaller, so we can use a reasonable oversubscription rate. A company selling this service to larger companies would have to have a closer match between their number of "sold" VOIP trunks and their number of PRI channels available.