On Aug 10, 2004, at 4:34 PM, Walt Reed wrote:
On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:12:51PM -0700, Scott Laird said:
Why stop there--you can beam pre-recorded messages to phones without a
person or phone line ever being involved.  You could send hundreds of
calls per minute without paying for more then a cheap PC and a T-1.

Well, this seems like an DNSBL would be helpful. DNSBL's work quite well
at shutting off the big spammer networks. VoIP spam from broadband / DSL
/ dialup shouldn't be as bad due to the limited bandwidth unless they do
the backdoor / trojan / viruses like email spammers do.

I don't know--a couple hundred zombie PCs dialing 200 numbers per minute each still sounds like a big problem to me, and blocking lists aren't usually very good at that sort of thing.

I'm sure that there's a solution out there somewhere, but I don't really know what it is. Centrally-managed PKI'd work, but it has political and economic problems. I mean, if everyone has a centrally-signed certificate for caller ID signing, who's going to stop you from using it to encrypt your voice traffic? Plus, who wants to pay Verisign $50+ per phone number?

Scott