imail wrote:
All,
I edited the Makefile under asterisk/channels and set:

USE_MYSQL_FRIENDS=1
USE_SIP_MYSQL_FRIENDS=1

When I do a  make clean ; make install
 I get the following....

for x in res channels pbx apps codecs formats agi cdr astman stdtime; do
make -C $x clean || exit 1 ; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/asterisk/res'
rm -f *.so *.o .depend
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/asterisk/res'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/asterisk/channels'
Makefile:141: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/asterisk/channels'
make: *** [clean] Error 1

Could it be that your problem is coming from the error:

  Makefile:141: *** missing separator.  Stop.

From the rest of the output it doesn't seem to imply there's something missing where MySQL is concerned. Googling on "makefile" and "missing separator" gave me this link that may be of help:

Although I may be way off, you could try that out first and see if it doesn't solve the problem.

Cheers,
Flynn