Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Crackly Bad quality

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 14:55 -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:

I highly suggest you work on getting either the RTC or USB driver loaded
to provide timing if you don't already have a PSTN card for that job.

OK, this is all softphones and one AVM passive BRI card here, so no digium hardware. And frankly, I'd be rather surprised if asterisk, apart from the standard kernel rtc timer, needs a special timer just to play back the demo voice and send it over the LAN. Remember, it's the initial setup we're talking about, and only the demo playback.

To make sure, I compiled and loaded the ztdummy driver (from zaptel
dir for 2.6 kernel). No difference.

Also, if it really was the timer, that would hardly explain why e.g.
FC3 and Debian Sarge behave so (wildly) different. I admit though
that strange things happen sometimes :)

So no, the dummy driver didn't do it.

Thanks for your hints, Bruno.