Jeff wrote:

It is my speculation that the 'cutoff' problem was related to some type of
'line noise' and that others successfully using the spandsp code _might_ be
using T1/E1 rather than analog lines (1FL) but when I started testing using
an old Fax machine plugged into a station port with a six foot RJ11 on
either end, I realized that this setup really shouldn't be introducing much
noise (if any) so I am lost. It happens approximately half way through EVERY
fax I attempt regardless of sending machine (I tried Dialogic and some
modems) or port (FXO or FXS) so I just gave up on it.

The problem is so common it is covered in the spandsp FAQ, and it is nothing to do with spandsp itself.

Steve