Matthew Boehm wrote:

Isn't the goal to move away from SS7? SS7 is pretty old technology. That is
what we are doing. We are dropping 2 SS7 carriers and will now send traffic
to them directly as SIP.

So how do I connect to a PSTN line by SIP? :-)

SS7 is the basis for the entire world's telephone network signalling. New forms which run over IP are being deployed. Even if the last remaining fragments of the PSTN are shut down, and everything on land lines is IP based, SS7 is still the core protocol for the cellular networks - GSM-A, for example, is built upon SS7. Of course, its always possible WiMAX might shut those down too. :-)

Regards,
Steve