steve szmidt wrote:

On Monday 24 January 2005 12:12, Steve Prior wrote:

One word of caution in case you have X10 equipment.  I recently found out
the hard way that some of APC's newest UPS models will cause interference
with X10 signals going over the powerline.  I'm not talking about the X10
signal not going through the UPC - that would be expected.  I'm saying that
in my case it interfered with X10 signals elsewhere in the circuit the UPC
was on.  Plugging the UPC into an X10 noise filter solved the problem.

Steve

That's interesting. Good fix too! I suspect that might not be all too uncommon as they all generate tones for the frequence. Have you tried it with a few different UPS's?

I do have other UPS's in the house that didn't cause a problem, but there are lots of factors (X10 is a pretty hard thing to make reliable on a good day). I've had all sorts of stuff cause noise on the line including a breadmaker and some old IBM displays. If you're serious about X10 for home automation it's a good idea to have a few noise filters around for things that come up. I only mentioned this on this list because I thought the same sort of person who might put a PBX in their house probably has some X10 there too unless they did something else very high end.

Steve