-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Greg Boehnlein
Posted At: 30 January 2005 14:43
Posted To: Asterisk-Users
Conversation: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on MS Virtual Server
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on MS Virtual Server

It "works", but you will have timing issues and very poor audio quality.

I've run linux both under Vmware as well as running it under CoLinux directly on windows w/ no emulation neccessary. All emulation / virtualization layers have a problem whereby they are not able to keep up with the interrupt frequency that good quality audio requires, so you will hear pops, drops and buzzes in your conversation.

That being said, I did run my Home PBX for several months on a Dual Opteron box running Windows XP and the AstWind package:

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=astwind

SIP to IAX2 was OK, and only had some minor glitches. However, when you start involving disk access, the audio falls apart almost entirely. When I asked on the CoLinux mailing list about the reasons for this, they explained that they have to "fake" interrupt timings for the CoLinux kernel, and as a result they can't gurantee anything consistent for latency between cycles.

KP-216-121-ST