On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> For some reason I didn't think PostgreSQL was for mission critical apps.  I
> don't think I have any reasoning behind it, just didn't think it was
> "hardcore"...sounds like i might be wrong...i'll have to look into it more.

For your app, probably either MySQL or PostreSQL will work.

I'm a happy MySQL user ... others are just as happy with PostgreSQL.

I think it's almost what you're familiar with at this point.   The
differences between the two are getting smaller.

MySQL traditionally was considered a very high speed database server
lacking some advanced features such as transactions and triggers and some
query types.   Postgres was considered a slower, feature complete SQL
implementation.

Today, MySQL has more features that it lacked earlier - i.e. it's got
transactions and additional queries, and so on.

I understand that PostgreSql has also gotten faster than it used to be.

So, at this point it's almost devolved into a holy war as opposed to there
being any real difference.

Personally I use MySQL because I find it easier to admin and configure on
my FreeBSD systems than PostgreSQL, which I tend to have ongoing problems
with in the spots I have to run it.  I don't miss the couple of PostgreSQL
features that mysql still doesn't have (but will in the near future).

I'd really recommend that you look at developing the app so it is database
independent - at least between MySQL and PostgreSQL.  That way, you can
swap from one to the other if you decide you don't like the one you pick
initially.

-forrest