I've actually used xten lite on a mac using GSM codec on a dialup connection. Worked like a hot damn. I was quite surprised, actually.....

Paul

----- Original Message ----- From: "cmisip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:03 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on a dialup connection?

How will this fare?

I am planning on putting an asterisk box for my brother in the
Philippines but they only have dialup internet.  I want them to be able
to use a telephone set on a phonejack or linejack card and call me and
vice versa via VOIP.

My setup in the US is working already with a broadband cable
connection.

I am thinking that dialup may not work because of the bandwidth required
unless I can use the onbord G723.1 codecs on the quicknet cards.
Ohphone allows this through h323 I think but I want an asterisk
solution.  If not a fullblown asterisk install on my brothers machine,
maybe set it up as a h323 client to mine.

I am currently working on setting up one of my lan machines with ohphone
to connect to my asterisk box to call FWD and such. Is this possible?

Somehow asterisk must translate the codecs from whatever SIP uses to
whatever ohphone uses ( I will force it to low bandwitdh g723.1).

I am hoping this will work and that the Vonage interconnect will be up
soon as this will be a cheap way for them to contact my sister as well.

I am still an asterisk  newbie so pardon me if the questions seem
newbie-ish.

Has anybody gone down this path? I hate to have to reinvent the wheel. Anybody have any ideas?