Jan Johansson wrote:

Is it possible (How complicated is it?) to do this;
IVR plays the usual “please type your order number, finish with pound”

Then I would like to query a MSSQL database server, looking up the “Status” column from a row where ordernr = the entered order number.

Depending on the result of the lookup, play one of two messages (“Yes, ready for pickup” or “No, your order is not ready”).

Can someone clue me in on which docs I should start with? Or is there an example of this somewhere?

If Perl is your thing then take a look at: http://ruk.ca/code/amazon.pl

This is a script which plays a prompt message, accepts a number (in this case
an ISBN), does a lookup based on that data, then plays a response.  If you
can hack the database lookup part yourself, then this script should give you
a framework for what you need.

Steve