Rich Adamson - would appreciate your advice as well, as your mail is the closest I have seen to a knowledgeable response so far in regards to this crackling issue. I have a customer who has a very similar crackling problem and to date we have suspected it to be the ISDN BRI adapter and/or CAPI, as it affects calls in progress over the genuine TDM400P card (which has 4 FXS ports) and SIP simultaneously.

Although the nature of this problem seems to vary, the customer reports that the crackling usually starts when an external call is received at which time the crackling overwhelms all voice channels and everyone has to hang up and re-establish the calls (after which everything works fine again).

Could it be possible that a problem with the TDM400P could affect SIP calls on Asterisk as well?

I don't think I have an interrupt problem (see interrupt table pasted below) and the output of zttest appears to be ok (at least as good as 99.96% accuracy), so we are stumped. Linux, Asterisk and ISDN driver versions as follows. Appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers,
Damian.

1) Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

2) Asterisk 1.0.6 built by [EMAIL PROTECTED] on a i686 running Linux

3) divas4linux_2_4_21_4_RHEL3_i686_SMP-104.345-1

***  zttest output  ***
--- Results after 43 passes ---
Best: 99.975586 -- Worst: 99.963379

***  End zttest output  ***

***  Interrupt Table  ***
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cat /proc/interrupts
          CPU0       CPU1
 0:   40674647          0    IO-APIC-edge  timer
 1:        969          0    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
 2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
 6:        282          0    IO-APIC-edge  floppy
 8:          1          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
12:       7132          0    IO-APIC-edge  PS/2 Mouse
14:       6650          1    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
16:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  usb-uhci
17:  406583244          0   IO-APIC-level  wctdm
18:    5450488          0   IO-APIC-level  eth0
19:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  usb-uhci
21:   11834725          0   IO-APIC-level  DIVA 4BRI 15587
23:          0          0   IO-APIC-level  ehci-hcd
27:     339738          0   IO-APIC-level  a320raid
NMI:          0          0
LOC:   40673196   40672862
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

***  End interrupt table  ***

FFF Managed Technology Ltd
60 Cook St
P.O. 6368 Wellesley St
Auckland
t +64 9 356 2911
f +64 9 358 9070
m +64 21 415 297
w www.fff.co.nz

Rich Adamson wrote:

I'm experiencing terrible trouble with crackling and noise on an
analogue line connected to an X100P (compatible) card. I've checked the
line with a normal analogue phone and it works fine, clear as a bell,
but any outgoing or incoming calls to Asterisk are almost completely
drowned out by loud crackling.

I've attempted to adjust the RX and TX gains, but to no avail. There's
also an echo, but only one way. I'm assuming this is a separate issue so
I've not done much to investigate that, but I may be wrong so if it is
related does anyone have any suggestions?

I never had this trouble with ISDN, but then I wouldn't would I? :)

If anyone can wave a magic wand, or at the very least point me to a
website where I can get my own magic wand, please let me know.

What country are you in, and does the chipset on the compat card support the telco standards in your country?

If the chipset doesn't match your telco standards, there is a high
probability you won't get rid of the echo. If it does match, then try
echotraining=800
echocancel=yes

Regarding the crackling noise, have you checked for shared
interrupts (cat /proc/interrupts)?

If you run "cat /proc/interrupts" every ten seconds, do you see
calculated interrupt values of about 1,000?

Go to /usr/src/zaptel directory and run
./zttest
Do you get something close to 100% over some period of time?

What version of asterisk are you running?