I'm working on configuring asterisk 1.0.7 on Debian Sarge.

The servers been tested a bit and seemed to working fine, but for some
reason now, when I try and run the Playback() or Background()
applications, or even try and goto voicemail asterisk refuses to play
any sounds back to me.

I have heard from 5 or so people about this problem. I run CVS STABLE (almost the same as 1.0.7) and had none of these issues. I wish I could help you, but I wanted to let you know that this is not a general problem.

--
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain