Hi Tony, check out my recent post regarding our experiences with Hyperthreading and * with Zaptel cards.

We have a few machines in the wild that *do* run Hyperthreading but no Zaptel cards and these work absolutely fine. My understanding is that the Hyperthreading problems are purely related to HW interrupts with Zaptel.

My advice would be to leave HT turned on and just turn it off if you have problems with it - something that takes are few seconds in the BIOS and doesn't require any software changes. HT does provide significant performance improvements over non-HT... performance that could come in handy if your * server has a lot of calls in progress (and hence a lot of CODEC's to process).

Cheers,
Damian.

FFF Managed Technology Ltd
60 Cook St
P.O. 6368 Wellesley St
Auckland
t +64 9 356 2911
f +64 9 358 9070
m +64 21 415 297
w www.fff.co.nz

Tony Mountifield wrote:

I have some beefy dual-Xeon servers that I will be using for Asterisk
VoIP applications (i.e. no Zaptel cards). Using 2.6.11-1.14_FC3smp
as the kernel (Fedora Core 3), and currently with Asterisk STABLE.

My question is concerning the CPU setup, as I've seen conflicting or
out-of-date suggestions: given the above config, should I have
hyper-threading turned on or off? Turned on appears like 4 CPUs,
and turned off will, I assume, appear as 2 CPUs.

It's not clear to me what the issues with HT are/were, and whether
they only relate to the use of hardware, interrupts, etc. or what,
so any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tony