Hi All,

Im having some trouble getting Asterisk to send DTMF via rfc2833. The scenario is this:

For purposes of testing software, I have two applications communicating with each other via DTMF. In between the two applications sits an Asterisk. The applications require that DTMF be sent via rfc2833, otherwise they will not understand the DTMF.

The first application (app-a) makes an outbound call to the second application (app-b) via SIP through the Asterisk instance. The Asterisk then fully sets up the SIP call and bridges the two applications. The problem is that when DTMF being sent via rfc2833 reaches Asterisk, asterisk then puts this DTMF in-band and sends it via the RTP stream. Sending DTMF through the other three legs of the call are just fine. That is, from app-a to asterisk, and in both directions between asterisk and app-b, dtmf is sent via rfc2833, its just this one section of the call that goes in-band.

Heres a simple diagram for clarification:

appa asterisk app-b

Also note that I can, and sometimes do, substitute a GrandStream BudgetTone-100 SIP phone in place of app-a, and the problem persists.

When removing the Asterisk instance from the middle of the call, app-a is fully able to communicate with app-b via rfc2833.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions or need some clarifications.

Thanks,
~James

--
James Bushey