> > FWIW, I'm 7db from my central office and am using rxgain=5.0 and
> > txgain=1.0 for now.
> >

> Here in France I'm connected to ADSL using Free and they have a page
> available that you can get some info on your line, I'm 1355 metres from
> the central with 18dB. I'll play with rx/txgain.

Those numbers don't sound right. In the US, many of the telcos have
the same type of static information available (at least within their
internal records), but the numbers are intended to be used by non-
technical telco types to determine whether a customer's location can
reasonably expect to support dsl.

If the 1355 meters is correct, the cable loss should be more like
about 4db (give or take a little based upon exactly what gauge of
copper is actually used to serve your location).

My guess is the 18db number is only there to suggest some sort of
upper 'limit' for adsl.

If that guess is correct, then I'd expect settings somewhere close
to rxgain=3 and txgain=0 might be a reasonable starting point for
zapata.conf parameters.

Rich