In making calls outbound through various VoIP origination providers people on the PSTN network have been complaining of poor voice quality. Diagnosing has been difficult with limited feedback but I tried using different originators and seem to have the same problem. I used TestYourVoip.com and generally get a 4.4/5.0 MOS score with no packet loss but the echoed voice I hear back is definitely poor. I'm trying to figure out how to go about diagnosing it or at least understanding some common sources of this type of problem.

Some details:

I am using IAX with ulaw.
I've tried with more than one originator.
It doesn't appear to be a problem for inbound calls.

MARK.